Saturday, March 23, 2013

I Love Being Black.

"I love being Black," were the words out this mans mouth followed by a high five to me!

 So last Friday night I found myself bouncing into the very gay bar called "Boxers," right behind the once legendary night club LimeLight, with my bestie. At first we didn't know what to think of the place since our first impression was of a girl falling off the curb and her guy friend standing over her continuing the conversation like nothing happened. But as we entered the bar and were immediately met with florescent lights, guys and girls dancing to Whitney Houston and a few boys walking around in underwear, all of our reservations were out the closet.

I met my Boyfriend and a few of his co-workers at the bar, but immediately went to explore the crowd and start some forever friendships. At the bar a man came up to me and said "you have a great ass, I could just bounce a quarter off of that," we both made gestures of objects bouncing off my butt and flying into outer space while laughing and throwing random compliments to each other. Another man chimed in and continued to gush over me! Now you know I'm loving this right? We quickly became best friends and I met his partner and showed him mine. Of course the whole bar already scoped out my man and he raised his eyebrows and said "oh gurl he's fine...and big!" I agreed and quickly put the focus back to me, my ego had yet to be filled to the max. We started talking about where we were from and he turned out to be a native New Yorker. He asked me if I was black and I said "yes, are you too?" And his face lite up like a glow worm and said "yes, and  I love being Black." I said me too, and it was followed by a high five and a few seconds of understanding and pride between two people in a gay bar.

I ended the night at a poetry slam in Brooklyn supporting Vaughn Lvg Ephraim, surrounded by beautiful smart talented Black people. And was grateful to the stranger at the bar for showing me how much he loved himself.

Check out Vaughn Ephraim mix tape
http://www.datpiff.com/Eli-Daze-Stuck-In-A-Daze-mixtape.464511.html

No comments:

Post a Comment